Thursday, May 11, 2006

Survivor and Operation Smile

We're bigtime Survivor fans in this household and come Thursday evening, as soon as the girls are in bed, we settle down to watch one of our favorite television shows. We've been fans ever since the first season.

When I received an email today from Operation Smile, stating that following Sunday nights airing of the Season Finale, props and memorabilia from Survivor: Exile Island will be auctioned off and all the proceeds from the auction will go to Operation Smile, I was really touched.

I know that probably sounds bizarre, but it touched me because I know that as a result of this charity auction, there will be children, some babies, some older children, who, like Rachel was born with a cleft of some sort, will literally be given a new smile. I know that somewhere out there, a mothers heart will be touched as well. This email made me an even bigger Survivor fan! LOL.

To learn more about the Survivor auction and it benefitting Operation Smile, visit here.

2 comments:

debra said...

Hi, Just saw your blog for the first time. My daughter is 17, born just about 10 years earlier than your Rachel, also with a unilateral cleft lip and palate. This coming week she will have a final bone graft and tooth implant, which will mark her 11th and likely final surgery! She is passionately involved with Operation Smile, and a tremendously wonderful teenager currently applying to college all over the country.

I'm sure your thoughts and journey have been helpful to so many other families with younger children. In case you have any questions/concerns about any part of the journey still ahead of you, just wanted to offer that help. I never knew that there was this community of cleft families...How great! Happy Holidays! Debra

debra said...

BTW...Forgot to mention that we live in Orange County, and our team has been through CHOC, so we are not that far apart....small world! Let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any families with older teenages in your network....I'd be happy to talk to anyone to give support etc.