Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Finally, Some Answers

Finally, after leaving five voice mails, someone from the Early Start office returned my call this afternoon.

She explained to me that at this age, speech can be picked up in so many different ways...through play, through interaction with other children, through just aging. At this stage of the game they focus on children who have cerebal palsey, mentally retarded, or another medical condition whereas they don't meet 1/3 of the requirements for their age. I was told if Rachel still was experiencing speech delays, to contact them again in August, when she is two. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and I her told so, but thanked her for at least getting back to me.

Thankfully, like I said in the prior post, this wasn't our only hope for speech therapy for Rachel.

And like a wise woman told me on the phone today, the Lord closed this door for a reason. Maybe the two therapies would have contradicted one another. But whatever the reason, it wasn't what HE had planned for Rachel at this time! (Thanks Mom for always reminding of what should be totally obvious).

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hopefully come August, this will be a nonissue!

Again, we had the same difficulty with Abby and she ended up doing great without it. I'll be praying for Rachel as she continues to learn to speak!